REGISTRATION (Registration will begin in April)
*ask a coach for a paper copy if needed
Who can be on the team?
- Anyone in school (or home-schooled) that is in the 9th-12th grades, boy or girl, living in the Lehi High School boundaries. If you are 7th or 8th grader, they are on the Junion Development team (JD) and have 3 races (more info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LehiJDmtb/). 9th-12th graders will be on the High School team (HS) and have 5 races. There is no bench, everyone rides every practice and every race.
When do I sign up?
- Exact dates vary each year, but sign-ups are in late March or early April. There is a youth and parent meeting to answer general questions and to join.
What is the process to sign-up?
- Attend the initial meeting (date to be determined) to get questions answered and sign-up on the team roster.
- Register with the league through the Pitzone and pay league dues (see below for details). Registration online is early April.
- Get fitted for a team kit (jersey and shorts), and pay team dues (minus any sponsorship credit given, see below).
- Sign-up with TeamSnap to get all practice and meeting updates!
- Attend practices and have fun!
What do I need to have to join?
- An interest in riding a bike, having fun, and dedicated to team practices. You will also need to have a bicycle and helmet too! If you do not have means to get a bike, see the question below about scholarships.
Where can I buy a bike?
- We have sponsorship from the Trek Bike shop in American Fork and they can provide 20-30% off of new bikes with a coaches signature.
- You can also get great deals on bikes on www.ksl.com. If you need help identifying a good bike, please talk to a coach.
How often do you practice and how long are they?
- Between April and May, we will have 8 practices, focusing primarily on skills, nutrition, fun, and safety. From June 1-Oct 31, the team will have 2-3 practices a week. Practices will usually be held near the same trail head as the JD team during the week to simplify getting kids to practice if you have kids on both teams.
- The weekday practices are 2 hours (Monday & Thursday), the Saturday morning practices can go as long as 4-5 hours depending on where we ride.
Where do you do training rides?
- Primarily Corner Canyon (Draper area), Herriman, and the Eagle Mountain Race course. Although we will do some Saturday rides up AF canyon, Heber, Park City, etc.
Who rides with the kids?
- The head coaches and ride leaders will be with the kids. We generally have one adult leader for every 6-7 youth. The coaches are all trained on safety, skills, and wilderness first-aid.
What is a ride leader, and how do I become one?
- We want you! A ride leader is someone that has some basic training (60-75 minutes online) and is registered with the Utah League ($65). They provide support and enthusiasm for the kids...plus have fun riding. We love having parents involved and riding with their kids. Even if you are new to mountain biking, your support and riding makes the team possible!
Is it safe?
- As with all activities, there is always risk of injury. That being said, all coaches are trained and certified to teach safe riding practices and are trained in first aid, including concussions training. The league also has secondary insurance if there were to be an accident.
What does it cost to participate?
- Team Fees $300. Includes: Team kit (jersey, bib short, t-shirt, hat), skilled instruction, 1 practice/week thru May 31 then 3 practices/week from June 1 - November 5, team registration fees, team equipment and supplies, team banquet (main course), race day food, and shop discounts.
- NICA & Utah League fees including 5 races $285/HS paid online when you register in "Pitzone" (prior to participating in any rides)
- Total costs (team fees, league fees, and races) are $585/HS, not including travel for practices and races; bike (no Walmart type bikes) and bike supplies; helmet; etc.
Is there a way to reduce the costs?
- You can reduce team fees through gathering sponsorship's. Please contact business to request sponsorship's. In addition to helping our mountain bike teams, they receive their company logo placement on our jersey and wall banner, team picture, year end banquet invite, race day meet and greet, etc. For every $250 sponsor a student-athlete secures, they will receive $50 off their team fees (a $500 sponsorship would be $100 off team fees). A $1250 Sponsorship (total, not necessarily from one sponsor) receives a full refund of the High School team fees. If you need discounts off the League fees, contact a coach and they can put you in touch with the League to reduce some of the fees.
What if we are not able to financially make it work, is there other means of help or scholarships?
- Yes! The Utah League offers scholarships and "loaner" bikes to students in need. Applications accepted July 15 - August 6th. Depending on the needs, nearly all the costs can be reduced! Please contact a coach for information.
- Please don't let finances determine whether you or your child participate, please contact a coach to see what can be arranged.
- We are a volunteer organization! The coaches are skilled and professionally trained in their jobs, but they do it all for the love of the sport. We need families to volunteer to help the team run smoothly. The league also has needs and requires each rider to have a family member volunteer at races. We love our volunteers!